The Age of Power Independence
Building a home solar powered home requires solar architecture. Solar architecture can be defined as designing a home with solar energy as a highlighted feature of the home.
- Design a roof plan that will allow for a square or rectangular solar panel layout. This provides for a clean layout.
- Consult with your solar energy company to confirm system size and footprint.
- The solar panels should be on a South or West roof and preferably on the rear or side of the home.
- This is also the time to determine if solar pool heating and solar hot water heating will be part of the solar architecture solution.
- Integrate the solar collectors into the roofing system by installing a composition roof in the footprint area of all solar panels and then install your tile roof or other roofing materials around the solar collectors, framing them in for a clean, recessed look.
- Select your solar panels so that they are black framed and black backing so there is a black solar system with no white mixed in.
- Allow the sun’s energy to passively enter the home for heating during the cooler months.
- Create an overhang over windows to block the sun’s energy from entering in during the summer months
- Have concrete, stone, or other mass in the home that can receive this energy and hold it naturally.
- Of course, ventilation and air flow are critical to the overall health of the solar architecture.